Shark Vs Hoover: Full Comparison of the Top Models of 2020
Vacuums, Vacuums Everywhere: How Do You Pick the Best!
From robotic and cordless sticks or uprights, vacuum cleaners have come a long way and evolved a lot. It has become a must-have and extremely useful utility for many households. Today, there are many brands and models of vacuum cleaners out there, making it difficult to choose the best.
Though they are considered the most useful home appliances, they can also be guilty of several offenses. Not all of them are ideal with some being too noisy and heavy while others having too few or too many accessories.
You need to understand what you need and compare popular models to narrow down your options and find something durable that is easy to operate and maintain. The beauty of vacuum shopping is that there’s at least one to fit your lifestyle.
This vacuum cleaner guide will ensure that you buy the right vacuum cleaner that not only meets your needs but fits the budget also.
Shark Vs Hoover: Main Differences
Both Shark and Hoover are well-known brands in the vacuum cleaners’ world but which one makes the best cleaning machines. They both go head-to-head in the vacuum market by providing some of the great products.
Well! Deciding which brand of vacuum to buy can be a challenging task because every model has its pros and cons. As choosing between two top brands is never going to be easy, we’ve compared Shark Vs Hoover to help you make an informed decision.
As there are plenty of factors that you need to consider before buying a vacuum cleaner, the following main difference between Shark and Hoover might help…
Innovation & Technology
Vacuums have evolved a lot in terms of technology and both Shark as well as Hoover claim to fame that their vacuums are innovative in design and hi-tech in features. But is that right? You don’t need an engineering degree to figure out which brand leads to innovation.
Though Hoover produces complicated vacuums and offers some of the sleek vacuum models, Shark has engineered some modern designs that are acknowledged for their look and performance.
It is important that how well a vacuum cleans and this only happens when it has a good suction power to pick up all the dust and debris. Shark has some models that never lose suction, for instance, the Shark Lift-Away. Also, it offers the latest suction technology is all its vacuums making them exceptionally useful for users.
Coming to the Hoover, it provides an array of suction technologies in its different models. It makes use of cyclonic technology labeling it as their infamous Windtunnel suction. As far as the performance on hardwood and tile flooring is concerned, both brands work well.
We find that Shark Navigator has a little more suction as compared to the Hoover Linx.
Both Shark and Hoover offer an extensive variety of vacuum models including robotic, cordless, upright, stick, canister, and handhelds. As far as the difference between the two brands is concerned, Shark offers steam mops while Hoover has entered the market for hardwood floor and carpet cleaning machines.
In the end, both brands offer a variety of models and you will find a wide array of vacuums to choose from. Also, these models come with many additional products and accessories that can make your cleaning routine an easy breeze.
Shark offers larger capacity dirt canisters as compared to the Hoover vacuums and, therefore, makes it possible to vacuum longer with no need to empty bins frequently. On the other hand, Hoover vacuums come with a slight small dirt canister and have to empty frequently. This may slow down the cleaning process as you need to empty the bin on regular time intervals.
The Shark vacuum models with HEPA filter and swivel steering are good at collecting dust as well as pet hair from carpets and bare floors. However, a few models by Hoover including the Windtunnel UH71100 and Sprint QuickVac works well when it comes to dust collection.
Corded Vs. Cordless
Today, cordless vacuums are gaining huge popularity because they allow for easy and convenient cleaning. With a lot of homeowners interested in cordless technology when purchasing a new vacuum, both Hoover and Shark offer cord-free models to cater to the needs of their customers.
However, Shark has an edge by providing the ability to add a second battery to its cordless models which means a longer runtime with plenty to backup power. While both brands offer high-performing cordless models, Shark gets high marks for offering dual batteries.
Price is an important consideration for many while buying a vacuum cleaner but of course not the only consideration. Hoover offers many affordable vacuum models, but you may not find too many features as compared to the costlier models. On the other hand, you may need to spend a little extra for Shark vacuums but they also come with more features and capabilities.
If the price is your main concern, you may choose to pick the Hoover vacuums cleaners but may have to compromise a bit on some innovative features. However, if you are willing to spend a few extra dollars, Shark offers you more in terms of performance and features.
Design & Durability
Today, most homeowners take into account both aesthetics and durability while investing in a vacuum cleaner. Shark has out a lot of effort into designing a vacuum and offer some great and durable designs. On the other hand, Hoover is a bit bulkier in its design as compared to the Shark models.
Shark has put a strong emphasis on lightweight vacuums while Hoover vacuums are a bit bulkier whether it is a cordless or corded one. Also, many of the Hoover models don’t have ergonomic features which make vacuuming more intensive.
Shark Vs Hoover: the Similarities Between Two Brands & Models
Though there is an array of differences between the two brands Shark and Hoover, they also share several similarities. Here we’re going to discuss a few main similarities that the two brands offer…
- Variety of Vacuums: Both Shark and Hoover offer a variety of vacuums including uprights vacuums, stick vacuums, cordless vacuums, pet vacuums, and robot vacuums.
- Warranty: Both brands offer a 5-year limited warranty on their vacuums.
- Parts & Accessories: They both offer a wide variety of parts and accessories such as PowerFins, DuoClean PowerFins, Crevice tool, filter assembly, and more.
- Multi-Floor Cleaning: As far as the cleaning capabilities are concerned, both brands offer vacuums that can be used on carpets as well as bare floors.
- Easy Transition: Shark and Hoover, both brands offer vacuum models with an easy transition from carpet to bare floors without any interruption.
Some things are meant to be similar to make the vacuums easy-to-use and enhance their performance.
Comparing the Vacuums in Detail
While both Shark and Hoover are strong brands in the vacuum market, they do have many differences. If you’re confused between these two, we can provide you with a comparison to help you with your decision.
For comparing the vacuums in detail, we will take into account the best overall vacuum models from Shark and Hoover. The two models we are about to look at are the Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away and the Hoover React Professional Pet Plus.
Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away vs Hoover React Professional Pet Plus.
Let’s get started…
- Multi-Surface Cleaning: The Shark Rotator can easily be used on multiple surfaces but it does not have a dedicated technology. On the other hand, the React uses FloorSense technology that adjusts the brush roller speed as the vacuum moves from one surface to another.
- Ease of Use: The Shark Rotator is just 15.6 lbs whereas the Hoover React is heavy and is 17.6 lbs which means the latter is going to be a bit difficult to carry up. The React has the swivel steering while the Rotator has advanced steering and thus moving it around feels smoother.
- Cleaning Effectiveness: The Shark Rotator has a ‘Lift-Away’ feature which allows detaching the canister and clean complex corners. Also, it has a 30-feet long power cord that is 5 feet longer as compared to the Hoover React’s 25 feet.
- Pet Hair Removal: Hoover has classified their vacuum as pet-friendly which means they have tested it in removing pet hair. On the other hand, Shark Rotator has no such classification but works well in picking up pet hair from bare floors and carpets.
- Filtration: Both Shark and Hoover use a similar two-filter system allowing them to trap even small particles. When compared, Shark Rotator does a pretty well job while the React lacks behind a bit in trapping small particles.
- Dirt Capacity: The Shark Rotator has a dirt capacity of 2.9 L which means it allows for a prolonged cleaning session. The Hoover React, on the other hand, can hold almost 1.5 L which is quite less as compared to the other brand.
- Main Highlights: The Shark Rotator comes with many useful features including Lift-Away, Anti-Allergen Complete Seal technology, Advanced Steering, and Wide Pet Upholstery tool. The React has features like FloorSense technology, Sealed Allergen system, Hoover App, etc.
- Price: The Shark Rotator comes with a price tag of $219.99 whereas the Hoover React is available for $239.99. It means the Rotator is more affordable as compared to the React and buyers can save a certain amount of money.
|Features||Shark Rotator Professional Lift-Away Upright Vacuum||Hoover React Professional Pet Plus Upright Vacuum|
|Dirt Capacity||2.9 L||1.5 L|
|Cleaning Capabilities||Lift-Away Technology||FloorSense Technology|
|Allergen System||Anti-Allergen Complete Seal||Sealed Allergen System|
|Pet Hair Removal||Premium Pet Power Brush||Tested for Paws & Claws|
|Steering||Advanced Swivel Steering with LED headlights||Comfort Grip Steering|
|Weight||15.6 lbs||17.6 lbs|
The best overall from Shark is Apex Upright Vacuum while the best overall from Hoover is WindTunnel Max Capacity Upright Vacuum.
Check this out:
- Cleaning Performance: Both Hoover and Shark offer the ultimate cleaning experience as they come packed with the latest technology. Shark includes DuoClean technology for powerful performance whereas Hoover comes with ScatterGuard technology for multi-floor performance.
Shark is Apex Upright Vacuum vs Hoover is WindTunnel Max Capacity Upright
- Filtration: The multi-cyclonic HEPA filtration in the Hoover vacuum helps you capture dirt and pet hair with no loss of suction. While Shark offers full-size vacuums with HEPA filtration and an anti-allergen complete seal system for better filtration.
- Dirt Cup Capacity: Hoover gives you a good 1.5L dirt cup capacity which lets you clean longer before needing to empty the bin. On the other hand, Shark offers 1L dirt cap capacity which means you need to empty the bin for prolonged use.
- Ease of Use: Talking about the Shark, a lift-off handheld system is built into the vac handle and it also comes with attachments for crevices, furniture, upholstery, etc. On the other hand, Hoover includes an above floor multi-purpose tool kit for furniture, stairs, upholstery, etc.
- Innovative Features: Shark Apex comes with a Zero-M cleaner head, 12” crevice tool, self-cleaning brush roll, and powered lift-away. Hoover incorporates features like multi-cyclonic filtration, all tools onboard, Windtunnel technology, and more.
- Cleaning methods: Cleaning may require many tools and Shark vacuum offer 3 ways of cleaning including powered-lift away mode, above-floor cleaning, and upright mode. Hoover on the other hand comes with 5 height adjustments for multi-floor cleaning.
- Specifications: The Shark apex weighs 25.0 lbs and comes with a two-brush roller system, the Zero-M system, a 30-foot long cord, and accessories. Hoover Windtunnel is lightweight with 16.1 lbs weight and comes with 12 ft extended reach, scuff guard, fixed handle, and more.
- Price: Price is often one of the main concerns while buying vacuum cleaners and while talking about these two models from two different brands. Shark comes with a price tag of $329 whereas Hoover is much affordable at just $129.99.
To understand more about these two brands, we have compared these two models side-by-side.
|Features||Shark APEX Upright with DuoClean||Hoover Windtunnel Max Capacity|
|Weight||25.0 Lbs||16.1 Lbs|
|Dust Cap Capacity||1 L||1.5 L|
|Air Filtration||HEPA+Foam Filters||Multi-Cyclonic|
|Cleaning Path||11 in||13.5 in|
|Motor Amps||11.3 Amps||12 Amps|
Popular Shark Models
A vacuum cleaner is a must-have and we’re here to make the decision a little easier by providing a list of popular Shark models and explaining the main features. And here we go…
Shark Cordless Pet Perfect:
In the HandVac series, there are many vacuum models that you can choose from. The lightweight and portable LV801 handheld vacuum comes with a lithium-ion battery for cleaning all surfaces, twister suction technology for strong suction power, and a detachable motorized pet brush for removing pet hair.
Shark Ionflex Duoclean Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum:
The popular convertible IF201 IONFlex model comes with MultiFLEX technology that provides flexible reach and DuoClean technology features a bristle brush for deep cleaning. Other features include a removable & rechargeable battery, upgradeable runtime, and floor-to-ceiling versatility.
Shark Rocket Cordless:
This cordless stick vacuum comes with powerful suction and XL dust cup to help tackle big cleaning jobs. It comes with Clean Touch technology for hands-off debris disposal and can easily be transformed into a hand vacuum for use in complex corners. Also, the vacuum has LED lights and offers up to 40 minutes of runtime.
Shark ion Cordless Vacuum:
The Shark ION F80 cordless stick vacuum is equipped with the latest technologies including MultiFLEX and DuoClean for carpet & hard floor cleaning. It comes with 2 removable batteries and offers up to 80 minutes of runtime with both batteries. It can easily be converted into a hand vacuum for above-floor cleaning.
Shark Duoclean Cordless:
The DuoClean Upright Vacuum Cleaner with Powered Lift-Away combines convenience and performance. It features DuoClean technology, powered-lift-away technology, Cordless cleaning freedom, and versatile cleaning. It offers up to 50 minutes run time and comes with a removable, reachable battery.
Popular Hoover Models
Hoover is a well-established name in the vacuum world and offers a wide range of models. However, we will discuss some popular models from the brand including:
Hoover Linx Cordless Stick BH50010:
This compact and rechargeable stick vacuum comes with extreme recline for hard-to-reach places and gives you cordless freedom. It features WindTunnel technology and is packed with fade-free interchangeable batteries. Other features include edge cleaning bristles, multi-floor cleaning, bottom-release dry cup, and more.
Hoover Powerdash Pet Carpet Cleaner, FH50700:
This can be your grab-and-go vacuum cleaner for high traffic areas as it is compact and lightweight. It comes with 2x more cleaning power and HeatForce power for deep cleaning. Other features include a PowerSpin Pet Brush Roll to tackle pet stains and a sample bottle of cleaning solution.
Hoover Windtunnel 2:
When you are looking for something for the floor to ceiling cleaning, this can be a great vacuum as it comes with deep cleaning power and optimized cleaning with the multi-brush roll. Some useful features include 25 feet power cord, WindTunnel 2 technology, extended cleaning reach, and good dirt cup capacity.
Hoover Smartwash FH52000:
The full-sized, automatic carpet cleaner can make cleaning easy as it boasts Automatic Cleaning technology. It comes with FlexForce PowerBrushes for deep cleaning and Auto Mix for precisely mixing and dispensing the solution. Some amazing features include Auto Clean motion sensing, Auto Dry, 1-step removable nozzle, dual tank, and more.
Hoover Floormate FH40160:
This can be an ideal hard floor cleaning solution as it comes with removable SpinScrub brushes and dual tank technology. Wash & dry selector makes it easy to switch to dry-only mode while CleanSurge Control helps apply the extra solution to tough stains. The clean water capacity of this vacuum is 1.5 quarts and the dirty water capacity is also the same.
The above-mentioned is a list of some popular vacuum models by Hoover, you can search as per your specific requirements.
Shark Vs Hoover Models: How They Stack Up
In the battle of the best vacuums, every brand wishes to have an edge over others. Here we are comparing some popular Shark and Hoover models to make it easier for you to pick the best. Let’s get started:
Shark Cordless Pet Perfect LV801 Vs Hoover Linx Cordless Stick BH50010:
The handheld vacuum by Shark gives a strong suction power with Twister suction technology. On the other hand, Hoover’s Linx comes with extreme recline for hard-to-reach places. Both models are lightweight and portable to be used on a variety of surfaces.
Shark Ionflex Duoclean Cordless Ultra-Light Vacuum IF201 Vs Hoover Powerdash Pet Carpet Cleaner FH50700:
Shark vacuum features DuoClean technology with a Bristol brush and an additional soft brush for deep cleaning. While the Hoover vacuum is a grab-and-go solution for high traffic areas as it has 2X more cleaning power and PowerSpin Pet Brush roll to remove tough pet stains.
Shark Rocket Cordless IX141 Vs Hoover Windtunnel 2:
When it comes to powerful suction for everyday dirt and high-traffic areas, Shark’s lightweight stick vacuum works well. However, Hoover offers some great features in its vacuum such as WindTunnel 2 technology, optimized cleaning, 25-feet power cord, and extended cleaning reach.
Shark Ion Cordless Vacuum F80 Vs Hoover Smartwash FH52000:
The lightweight stick vacuum by Shark comes with DuoClean technology which makes it a suitable solution for carpet and hard floor. On the other hand, Hoover’s Smartwash is a full-sized automatic carpet cleaner and comes with FlexForce PowerBrushes and automatic cleaning technology.
Shark Duoclean Cordless IF201 Vs Hoover Floormate FH40160:
For under-furniture and freestanding, Shark works well as it comes with MultiFLEX technology, DuoClean technology, and floor-to-ceiling versatility. Contrarily, Hoover’s Floormate offers deep cleaning via removable SpinScrub brushes, dual-tank technology, and wash & dry mode selector.
Before you start browsing vacuum cleaners, you must know some popular models from different brands and their main differences.
Q. Is Hoover better than Shark?
A. Both Shark and Hoover use almost similar motor power which means you can expect the same suction power. Hoover’s Floorsense technology allows the vacuum to clean throughout the floor while Shark has an edge when it comes to cleaning carpets as it makes the use of both a bristle brush and a soft brush.
Q. What is the best Hoover vacuum to buy?
A. The WindTunnel UH30600 is the best overall upright bagged vacuum model from Hoover. If you’re looking for multi-surfaces, Hoover UH74110 can be an ideal choice and Hoover C1703900 is best for commercial purposes. Some other popular models you may consider include Hoover WindTunnel Max Capacity, Hoover Sprint QuickVac, Hoover FH52000, etc.
Q. Which Shark vacuum is rated the best?
A. Shark has many popular vacuum models under its hat but the best-rated ones include Shark APEX Upright with DuoClean (best overall), Shark Ninja Rotator Lift-Away True-Pet (best for pets), Shark ION Robot R85 (best robot), Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional (best multi-purpose), and Shark Rocket DuoClean Ultra-Light HV382 (best for small spaces).
Q. Are Shark vacuums good?
A. Shark is a well-known brand and provides great cleaning and easy usability as compared to other similar-priced brands available in the market. Uprights are the most popular, but stick vacuums by Shark stand out for their reliability and durability. Also, Shark vacuums are more affordable than some other big brands.
Q. Which Shark vacuum has the best suction?
A. Though the brand provides a wide variety of vacuums with good suction power, Shark APEX DuoClean Zero-M is one of the best ones. The models are suitable for high-traffic areas where you need to pick up stubborn dirt and remove tough stains. Some other good models include Shark Ninja Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet, Shark ION Robot R85, and Shark Rocket DuoClean.
Q. Do Shark vacuums last?
A. As Shark is a well-known brand and offers a huge variety of vacuum cleaners, it does provide quality and durability. You can enjoy a good Shark vacuum for around 5 to 7 years given that you maintain it properly. Shark upright vacuum cleaners are more reliable as they are rated average or above average in maximum categories.
The Final Verdict
The problem with vacuum shopping is that enormous options making it difficult for you to pick the perfect model. The key to putting your hand on the best lies in determining what type of cleaning is best suited for your needs and their key features.
Vacuum buying can seem daunting but with the appropriate information, it won’t. Think about the type of cleaning your place needs. Identify your needs in terms of pet hair or other mess by kids. Know what attachments you need. Most importantly, don’t get overwhelmed as you may end up wrong.
Hate vacuuming? You can always choose a robot vacuum and share the workload. The cleaning bots are equipped with smart features to provide you with a good cleaning with just a single click. You can also control the latest models via your mobile phone or voice.
The buying guides help you identify one that will suit your purpose so that you know you are not investing your money on the wrong product. Take a look at some feature fundamentals before you invest in any of them:
-Cleaning Performance & Suction Power
-Add-On Cleaning Tools
-Bagged Vs. Bagless
-Filter & Brushes
Who Wins: Shark or Hoover?
It was just a matter of time that Hoover was coming up steady and strong and everyone was like that the brand will dominate the entire world. But no, it seems Shark is giving it a neck-to-neck competition by providing some amazing products. Today, Shark has captured a big chunk of the lion’s share of the market and continuing to provide admirable vacuums.
Isn’t it iconic? Who would think that any brand can take the throne from a well-established player? Today, Shark fascinates a sizeable portion of American consumers and holding up the lead for years now.
To get a bird’s eye view on how everything fell into its place, we provide you with well-researched companions and buying guides?
Do share your feedback in the comments section below or contact us to take a closer look at some of the amazing products in the vacuum world.